Monday 18 May 2015

Identifying page one of my Chinese stamp collection.

Ok peeps, so having cropped and posted page one of my Chinese stamp collection, I have set about the arduous task of trying to identify the stamps on the page. Like many amateur philatelists I have turned to google to give me some quick answers and having done so have been almost over whelmed by the scope and scale of the task. What I mean is that there is literally thousands of Chinese stamps and here I am searching for a mere handful!!! 

Undeterred I came across a number of useful websites, www.stanleygibbons.com, www.sandafayre.com and www.colnext.com/en/stamps which has a directory of stamps by country, including China. This is extremely useful and a start but having read the Stanley Gibbons website it is clear to me that they seem to be the tour de force of the stamp world, what I mean by this is that they have been in existence since 1856 as an auction house specializing in buying and selling stamps. They also sell catalogs that reference each stamp by country with a price guide. While they look expensive to buy it seems logical to try to get my hands on a copy rather than aimlessly searching the Internet and hoping to match my stamp. So here I go off to amazon to check out some prices and hopefully order some new reference books.

Wish me luck!!






No comments:

Post a Comment